It is a disorder of fat metabolism. May be manifested by elevation of the total cholesterol or the triglyceride concentration or the increase in the bad cholesterol (LDL) or decrease in HDL (Good cholesterol).
Cholesterol is a fat substance that is found in the fats in blood. Cholesterol is required to continue building healthy cells. It forms a part of the cell walls, nerve coverings&brain cells.
When cholesterol levels are raised, fat deposits in the blood vessels. Eventually these deposits make it difficult for smooth blood flow through the arteries. Which in turn may increase the risk of heart disease.
Ayurved explains high cholesterol as a result of weak digestive enzymes due to which excess fats are formed and they in turn block the body channels.
- Increased appetite
- Exercise regularly
- Take a low calorie diet. Maintain regular food timings. Early dinner is very useful. Keep yourself physically active.
- Avoid sweets&fried foods, dairy products, bakery products, processed food.
- Avoid afternoon sleep after meal. Avoid smoking&alcohol.
- Drink only warm warm water daily which aids digestion.
- Have half tsf cinnamon powder with warm water daily morning on empty stomach.
- Have fiber rich foods like leafy vegetables and fruits like apple, pear, oranges, lime, papaya etc.
- Consuming handful of curry leaves grinded in 1 cup buttermilk daily helps to lower cholesterol.
- Eating 2-3 cloves of garlic a day helps to reduce cholesterol.